Date of Birth: 6 December 1966
M.A. in history and political science, Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf.
- 2009–10: head of the social policy department of the Diakonisches Werk der Evangelischen Kirche in Deutschland (the social welfare organisation of the protestant church).
- Since 2008: spokeswoman for the working group on Christians in the SPD.
- 2008 - 2018: chairwoman of the Mettmann county branch of the SPD.
- 2000–09 and since 2010: member of the German Bundestag. Since 2000: member of the "Netzwerk Berlin" (the new SPD generation’s reform network). 2001–02: spokesperson of the "Youngsters" in the SPD parliamentary group. 2002–09: chairwomanof the committee on family affairs, senior citizens, women and youth in the Bundestag. 2006–09 and since 2011: special representative of the SPD parliamentary group on churches and religious communities. Since 2014: chairwoman of the committee on labour and social affairs.
- Since 2003: member of the Synod of the protestant church "Evangelische Kirche in Deutschland".
- 1995–11 and since 2013: member of the SPD national executive committee. 1996–99: chairperson of the SPD's national committee on youth affairs. 2006–09: chairperson of the SPD's national committee on children and family affairs.
- 1989–93: member of the federal executive committee of the Young Socialist student groups and the Young socialists (Jusos). 1994–97: deputy chairwoman of the Lower Rhine district branch of the Young Socialists.
- 1989–90: chairperson of the Heinrich Heine University's student council. 1990–92: president of the Heinrich Heine University's student parliament.
- Since 1986: member of the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD).
- 1987–2000: staff member of the Memorial Centre for the Victims of National Socialism in Düsseldorf. Publications on persecution and resistance, and psychiatry in Nazi Germany; German-Jewish history; and educational remembrance in memorial centres.