Employment promotion Basic income support for jobseekers Skilled labour and migration Overview Skilled Labour Strategy Measures and Networks Support of Migration and Integration Vocational Language Courses Transformation of the world of work Minimum Wage Labour Law Occupational Safety and Health
Social Insurance Statutory accident insurance Old-age security in Germany Social Assistance Socialcompensation law Health Care Participation and inclusion
Europe Overview: Europe Frequently asked questions for Ukrainian refugees Employment and social policy in the EU Working in another EU country Free trade agreements Migration from third countries European Funds Overview: Europeean Funds European Social Fund (ESF) European Globalisation Fund (EGF) Fund for European Aid to the Most Deprived (FEAD) International Overview: International International Employment and Social Policy Labour and Social Policy at the G7/G20 Levels Corporate Social Responsibility Twinning in Labour and Social Policy (Administrative partnerships) Bilateral social security agreements outside the European Union International Organisations
Contact Publications Overview: Publications Shopping cart Videos Press Overview: Press Recent Publications Press photos Overview: Press photos Press photos of the minister Press photos of the state secretaries RSS
BMAS at a Glance Political Staff Visitor Centre
Labour Skilled labour and migration Social Affairs Europe and the World Europe European Funds International Services Publications Press Press photos The Ministry

Social security coordination

You have plans for a stay in another EU country or in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland? You would like to go there for work or as a tourist? Perhaps you would like to move to one of these countries? Maybe you would like to spend your retirement abroad? In these cases, you have to keep a couple of things in mind to be on the safe side when it comes to your social protection.

Staying in or moving to other EU countries, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland

If you wish to take up employment in another member state, the law of that member state will normally apply to your employment relationship. In return, German social security law usually applies to EU citizens who work for an employer in Germany. There are exceptions from this basic rule, especially for posted workers from other member states and for persons who are employed in two or more member states. You will find detailed information on the rules which apply in these special cases in the European Commission’s "Practical guide - The applicable legislation in the EU, EEA and in Switzerland (2013)" and on the website of the Deutsche Verbindungsstelle Krankenversicherung - Ausland (DVKA) (in German).

Handling of A 1 attestations for activities arranged at short notice and short-term activities in other EU countries, the EEA countries Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway as well as Switzerland

If you stay in another European country for a short period of time or spend your holidays there and require medical services, e.g. by a doctor or at a hospital, the terms which would apply to nationals of that country when accessing these services will also apply to you. Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will help you prove your claim to these services. The European Health Insurance Card is usually printed at the back of the health insurance cards of persons with German statutory health insurance. On its website, the European Commission provides examples of EHICs from all EU member states. On the website, you will also find information on the scope of medical treatment and on the health care systems of the different EU countries.